Saturday, December 19, 2009

Merry Krismas

Merry Christmas Mofos,

Hopefully your holiday season is going well & the appropriate mythical being has/will bring you everything you have asked for -- I got an ox cart full of poop. Yea!!!! May the cold Wisconsin weather & snow only increase your desire to warm yourself with a well-aged brandy and to sit by the fire (yes, apparently I am rhyming today).

As for me, I am well. The weather here in Malawi is hot as hell (of course I can only speculate as to how hot Hell actually is, but the weather here has to be close), and the rainy season has arrived with the fury of a Dennis Leary tirade. Its rains almost every day, and because of this, Malawi has turned a type of green that I have never before seen (yes, I'm a Dr. Seuss fan).

Despite its beauty, there is still plenty of work to be done here. We have been placed at a wonderfully built school that was donated by the Clinton Foundation and the African Development fund. However, my class sizes range from 60-120 students, class periods are loosely observed so far, and many other frustrations fill my day as well. Patience is definitely a virtue I am gaining loads of. One really great thing though, is that my students are awesome.

What else? Jen and I are slowly getting used to living (cooking, cleaning, crapping, gardening, shopping, etc.) on our own in Malawi. As well, our Chichewa is improving just as slow. My hope is that by September of next year, things will be pretty damn good for us here.

We are attempting to grow trees and a garden, and I have even been using our urine to fertilize these! Yeah for urine! By the way, since we have no TV, and the appearance of strange bugs is rarely consistent, growing stuff has become my entertainment. Its better than FOX--damn you Jack Bauer!!!!

Otherwise, things here are well, although it is really difficult to go sledding without snow here, and people look at me like I'm crazy. Whatever, what do they know about sledding anyway?

Ok, enjoy the holidays, don't wake up with anyone or anywhere you don't want to, and if you do, for the love of God please have an emergency escape plan handy. Be sure to pick out a resolution you might actually fulfill (And no Mikey, saying that you will act like an adult and that you will quit rapping E = MC Magina does not fall into this category--seriously though, don't ever stop rapping that).

And finally, I have decided to develop an eating disorder--no matter how much/what I eat, I still cannot gain weight. Maybe I have a tapeworm. Seriously though, eating disorders are no laughing matter; unless of course, the content is funny. Hmmm.

Now I'm just rambling. Merry whatever you like, and Happy New Year. Peace.

Yours Truly,

The Great White Hype

1 comment:

  1. It's fantastic to hear about your experiences, though your ramblings seem to be an indicator that your marbles are slowly melting from the heat. Grow big trees and hide in shade as often as possible. :)
    Enjoy your holidays and Happy New Year!
    Pictures of school and living arrangements will be much appreciated. Very curious to see what your life is like there.

    ReplyDelete