Wednesday, July 8, 2009

And on the 7th Day Kris Made . . .

Its already been a week since I landed in Rwanda, and I fear that my trip will be over before I want it too. Oh well, enjoy what you have while you have I guess.

As I said in my last blog, it is amazing here. Amazing for so many different reasons, both good and well, not so good (perhaps bad to horrible is a better description). Since we started in on the actual itinerary of our gpa, each day has been emotionally draining to the point that when I get back to my room and jot down some notes about the day, the only other activity I can handle is sleep. And even that has had its trying moments (Can you say Mefloquine!!??). I think that I should note that it has been emotionally draining in a good way.

We have begun our visits to the schools of Kigali, as well as to one of the NGOs (Global Grassroots) for my group's project, and also took an afternoon to see the Genocide museum here. All were unbelievable experiences. Again, I will be posting pics and even some videos when I have the chance. Please visit the Global Grassroots site if you get a chance, it is a fantastic opportunity to help those women (if you check out the site, you'll understand what I'm talking about).

When we were visiting the NGO the other day, we got to check out the community well (which was at the bottom of a freaking mountain and about 6 miles away from the village where we started). Have you ever been surrounded by 10-20 children, all smiling, all wearing dirty clothes, no shoes, and stinking of b.o.? I have. And it was one of the most phenomenal experiences of my life. Not because it was cool, but because of how completely F*#%@d up it was that these people (mostly women and children) had to come to this well to get water every day, walk up and down a mountain, and were still some of the most genuinely nice people I have ever met.

I eventually had to take a step back and collect myself. It made me realize how much help Africa needs in regards to development (and yes, I know I teach about this, but seeing it firsthand was like getting the wind knocked out of me). Talk about motivation.

A note on the 1994 Genocide too: I learned quite a bit more about the years leading up to the actual genocide. Prior to going, I believed that I knew most of the shocking information. One of those tidbits was that the French gov't actually trained and armed the Hutu/Interhamwe militia. I wish I would have taught that to my students. Pass it on it you wish.

Tomorrow we leave Kigali for Butare (we're heading south, quite close to the border with Burundi). Coffee plantations and tons more research.

More to come, and I apologize for the lack of organization. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment