Friday, July 3, 2009

AFRICA!!!!!!! More specifically, RWANDA!!!!!! It took nearly 24 hours of flights, waiting, bad airplane food, and tiny seats to get here, but I am finaly here. I am honestly so excited that I wasn't able to get much sleep last night.

I was told that the air in Africa was going to be different. I believed that, but when I stepped off the plane and took my first breath, I was amazed. It not only smells different, but feels different here. You can instantly tell that Rwanda is a country where a large amount of their energy is produced by burning wood. Interesting.

We haven't done much yet besides tour the city by truck, but this place is amazing to see. Its all hills/mountains and people everywhere. I would equate the amount to China population density-wise.

Tomorrow we are hitting up a bifecta: We will be attending the Rwandan 4th of July Independence Day Celebration where the President and others will be speaking (this is to celebrate the end of the war/genocide in 1994), and then we will be attempting to make a 4th of July party at the U.S. embassy here in Kigali. So tomorrow should be interesting to say the least.

Before I go, I think I should mention that it does feel a little strange to be here in Rwanda. Based on my background knowledge of the genocide that took place in 1994, I can't help but feel like I am having deja vu when driving past certain parts of Kigali. I have been having flashes of memory from the videos/lectures I have seen. Its not that I feel unsafe, because I actually feel completely safe here. It is just the history of this place. You can feel it. Its the same feeling I had when I stood on the Great Wall a few years ago. The only difference is that this happened in my lifetime.

Still very cool to be here. Stay tuned for pics, vids, and diarrea updates over the next week.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. wow!sounds great and exciting! i hope ur having a great time!!! taking my own trip to mississippi!back in 14 days!!!

    ReplyDelete