Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bananarama!

My apologies to the two of you who are reading my blog irregularly; Internet access in Rwamagana is a little unpredictable. So here's an update:

My last entry ended with a statement regarding my intestinal fortitude. I was incorrect in my assumption. The situation has moved back to normal. I repeat, situation is normal (for the dense ones out there, this means I don't have mud butt). However, for those of you out there waiting for a poop story, one of my group had a "bedtime" accident Thusday night. Nice.

Besides this, cold water has become my closest companion, and I have set a new world record for the most bananas eaten in a 1 hour sitting. Take that Prime Quarter Steakhouse of southern Milwaukee (yes, I took that challenge too, but they didn't even have the foresight to realize that you need film to take a picture of a winner)!

I have been bouncing back and forth between Rwamagana and a number of other cities to conduct interviews and take video of varying water production centers and NGOs, and our overall project is about 3/4 of the way finished. I head to Kigali on Monday and Tuesday to do much of the same, plus one little catch; I will be the one getting videotaped. Apparently the rest of my group believes that it will be worth while for me to walk in the shoes of someone who collects water from a well that is VERY far away from their home (we're talking 6-10 miles of walking with I don't know how many jerry-cans on my shoulders). After I recover from my stroke, I'm planning on submitting our work to AFV. Stay tuned.

Other than that, I'm slightly sick of Rwamagana and ready to move on to Ruhengari to see mountain gorrilas, and to ride with the Rwandan National Cycling team (yes, I am that good). Again, I'll update pics/videos if I can, but don't hold your breath. There is internet in Rwanda, but not really the kind you can send the above with (at least not quickly). I'll most likely just post them when I get home.

One more thing. Internet cafe's here in Rwamagana rock, and not for their speedy access or beverages (beverages? what beverages?). Talk about a redeeming quality. As I write, there is a big screen tv with Rwandan reality tv on in the background. Simply put, it is one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed besides PeeWee Herman walking on the ceiling of his playhouse with homemade suction cup boots made of toilet plungers and ski boots (I actually tried this; my results did not match his--shocking, I know). Imagine this: Little to no script (somewhat resembling The Hills--wait, why do I know that?), fantastic synthesizer music, drama, and of course, three internet cafe employees watching attentitively (and me). You can't put a price tag on that (Actually, you can. It cost me 300 RwF.)

Alright, enjoy your weekend if you have one, I apologize for all the digressing, and Mikey, take it easy on the Mad Dog. Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Ludmonkey,

    Great post man! I cannot tell you how nice it is to read about bathroom issues in Africa. I am happy you are regular, at least
    rectally speaking.

    The blog is far more interesting than the scintillating conversation at RAHS in the summer months. We continue to move forward, although without you there this fall it will be a hollow feeling at best. Keep posting and now there are three readers.

    RT

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I was one of those people waiting for a poop story from Africa! Glad to hear you are still alive and well! And it's aneurysm for future reference :)

    Rumme

    ReplyDelete